expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Aug 28, 2014

Italian Pasta Salad

This pasta salad was one of my favorite things my mom made whenever I was a kid. I don’t know if she intentionally made it to sneak more veggies into my diet, but it worked because when I tried to just eat the stuff I really liked (the pepperoni, cheese, and pasta) some veggies always inadvertently got in there as well. Nowadays, I probably like the vegetables just as much, if not more than the meat and cheese.This recipe makes a ton of salad, so it’s the perfect side for any Labor Day barbecues you might be attending. No worries if you don't eat it all the first time around; it's even better the second day!


Italian Pasta Salad (makes 8 generous servings)

Ingredients:

1lb small pasta (I used farfalle)
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
3 carrots, sliced thin
1 small zucchini, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, sliced thin
4 radishes, roughly chopped
8 oz grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
¼ cup sliced olives (I used kalamata)
16 oz fresh Mozzarella ciliegine (Cherry Size), sliced in half
2 oz sliced pepperoni
½ cup shredded parmesan
3 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Spicy, or to taste
Dried Wishbone Zesty Italian dressing, prepared according to package instructions

Directions:

Boil the pasta using your usual method while you prep all the other ingredients. Drain pasta and allow to cool completely before adding to veggies. Add mozzarella, pepperoni, parmesan, and Mrs. Dash. Toss all ingredients in the salad dressing immediately before serving.

If there are any ingredients listed that you don’t like, feel free to customize to your taste.  I’ve made this recipe many times, and I don’t think I’ve ever made it the same way twice. It’s a great way to use up any extra vegetables from your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment