expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

May 14, 2014

BombPop DIY: Modern Mobile


While shopping for decor for my baby's room, I had a real problem finding a mobile that was actually worth looking at. Everything was branded and cheesy. It just wasn't what I wanted my first child to be staring at for long periods of time. So, stubborn woman that I am, I decided to make my own.

I can't take complete credit for my mobile. I modified this tutorial from Sew Craft Create to come up with something of my own. I loved the pink and gold color scheme that she used, so I kept that, adding a bit of white to go along with the color scheme of  my baby room. It wasn't hard, just time consuming. I thought it would only take a few hours, but it ended up being more like three days. I was super happy with the result though, and wouldn't change a thing.

Follow these steps to make a modern mobile of your own!

For this DIY you will need:

About 5 sheets colored card stock, I got mine at Michaels.

Fishing line: I used one 65 foot roll of 50 pound monfilament.

An Exacto knife with several replacement blades.

Gold ring: I found this one at Joanne Fabric. I looked at a few places, and can tell you that this is your best option.

A standard size glue gun.


Using an Exacto knife and a ruler, I cut out several equal sized triangles in each color. You might find it easier to use a punch or Silhouette, especially if you are planning an long elaborate mobile.


Decide what you want your mobile to look like, and how you want your triangles to hang.

Then cut about 10 lengths of fishing line about 20 inches long. Double up the monofilament, matching the ends and loop over your ring, pulling the ends through and creating a knot. Dab a very small amount of hot glue on the knot, securing it to the ring. Then pull taut and glue your first triangle to the both strands of the line, placing an identical triangle on the other side to sandwich the monofilament, creating a seal. Repeat with each of your lines.


Now go back and loop another set of monofilament lines in-between your first set, adding in each triangle as you want them placed.

At this point I used hangers to hang my mobile from a light fixture, allowing me to work with the mobile standing. This way I was able to see how the individual triangle would hang, making placement much easier.


From there, just keep building, trimming the ends of your line when you are finished. If you want a more directional tutorial, Sew Craft Create's lays out steps for each row of shapes. Personally, I enjoyed just fitting the shapes in where they seemed to belong, but I totally understand the need for further instruction.

Stay tuned for pictures of the mobile in my completed baby room. I am hard at work and can't wait to show it to you when it's finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment