expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Jun 23, 2015

Creative Cocktails from the Planter's House


Image Source
My in-laws were in town this past weekend, and they were kind enough to watch Roscoe while my husband and I went out for a little belated anniversary dinner at the Planter's House. I had been meaning to visit since it opened up over a year ago, but I hadn't gotten a chance before I got pregnant and after I was pregnant there didn't seem to be much point in going to a place that is all about the cocktails. Yes, cocktails! Welcome back to my life, booze. I have missed you.


The best cocktail of the night for me was the first one I tried: the Blooming Beatnick, a combination of Pisco, a South American brandy, gin, velvet falernum, roasted beet syrup, lemon, mint and spring bitters. The velvet falernum is a rum based liqueur that adds a bit of spice, while the beet syrup sweetens things up and gives the cocktail its vibrant purple color. I highly recommend this cocktail. I kind of regret not getting a second one. My husband tried the Planter's House punch for his first drink, which was also very tasty, but not as interesting as the Blooming Beatnick.


We paired our first drinks with the flatbread, which was like a small pizza topped with a lemony custard, mushrooms, and spicy greens tossed in a vinaigrette. It was very good and paired well with the Blooming Beatnick.


For my second cocktail, I tried the Kentucky Breeze, a mixture of bourbon, cucumber and strawberry infused bonal (an herbaceous French aperitif), and Pinckney Bend Tonic Syrup (made by a Missouri based company!). I was expecting something light and fruity, but this one was definitely a sipping cocktail. Two of these and I would have  been under the table.


For my entree, I tried the buttermilk fried quail with smoked potato salad, strawberry balsamic coulis, and horseradish, which I could not taste. The breading on the quail was quite crispy and delicious, but the potato salad lacked salt. My husband had the rib-eye, and said it was the best steak he'd had from a restaurant in a long time, though it was coated in a lot of pepper.

Overall we enjoyed our trip to the Planter's House (especially the cocktails) and we hope to return soon.

Click to add a blog post for Planter's House on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment